Tuesday, October 22, 2013

From Pastor Jason: Stop. And Listen.


One of my heroes, the late Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones was addressing a room full of budding preachers. He was speaking about the importance of personal Scripture reading …

"Here I want to say something that I regard as in many ways the most important discovery I have made in my life as a preacher. I had to discover it for myself, and all to whom I have introduced it have always been most grateful for it. When you are reading your Scriptures in this way–it matters not whether you have read little or much–if a verse stands out and hits you and arrests you, do not go on reading. Stop immediately, and listen to it."

Stop. 

And listen. 

What an incredible concept! 

The brash assumption Lloyd-Jones is making, the idea we must not miss, is that God is speaking. God speaks to us through his Word. Amazing! God talks to us! So, the question is … are we listening? I have to admit, often I am not. This year I have been reading through the Bible. I have the goal of reading through the whole Bible in a year. Perhaps you've done this before. And I realized as I read Lloyd-Jones message, I often don't stop and listen. Usually I just want to check off the next chapter of my daily goal. This is something of which I constantly have to remind myself. Today, I want to encourage all of us in the same way … God is speaking to us through his Word, may we stop and listen.

Peace …
Pastor Jason

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
 



Harvest Carnival: October 31st
  • We still need to fill 35 shifts to serve our community.
  • We still need candy. Please bring some on Sunday.
  • We still need you to be there!

 New Sunday Morning Schedule: November 3rd
  • 9:30 AM is Discipleship Training (child care will be provided)
  • 10:30 AM is Community Time
  • 10:45 AM is Worship Gathering

JJ Heller Concert at Dwell: November 9th

No comments:

Post a Comment